Govt Officials Say Nothing Is 'Off The Table' In Getting VIC Outbreak Under Control As Cases Spike
The state’s Health Minister, Jenny Mikakos, said the stats are alarming. “Obviously we are concerned by the increasing number and the upward trend and are monitoring the situation very closely,” she said.
Of the 75 new cases, only one case came from a returned traveller in hotel quarantine – the rest were either community transmitted or still under investigation.
— VicGovDHHS (@VicGovDHHS) June 28, 2020
"We've got many cases across the inner-northern suburbs and the western suburbs of Melbourne, but not exclusively," Ms Mikakos said. "And it's important to reiterate to the community that you are not immune from catching coronavirus by virtue of the postcode that you live in."
She added that the data showed 37 per cent of the cases were people in their 20s and 30s. "We are seeing more young people getting together with their mates contracting this virus and then taking it home to their families," she said.
"I would say to those young people, you might only get mild symptoms … but if you give it to an elderly family member or someone else in the community with chronic health conditions, you are putting their life at risk."
Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said nothing was “off the table” when it came to getting the outbreak under control and that it would continue to get worse before it got better. "It is a concerning number. But it is very hard to make reductions in this space," he said.
Professor Sutton also discussed the challenge around suburb lockdowns, saying people could just move house if their suburb was put into lockdown. "But it is an option and we will use it if required," he said.
"It would be a significant logistical exercise to manage a stay-at-home that's about particular suburbs or government areas."
He said he stood by the decision to ease restrictions in June despite the growing number of cases over the past 12 days. Victoria's had 2099 recorded cases since the pandemic first began.
Last week, Victorian Premier Dan Andrews said the fact that many of the state’s new cases likely came from unauthorised family gatherings is “just not on”.
Some people are pretending this is over because they desperately want it to be.
No one wishes that were the case more than me – but the facts tell us otherwise. pic.twitter.com/5yKLGawJvA
— Dan Andrews (@DanielAndrewsMP) June 21, 2020
“It doesn’t matter how many people are doing the wrong thing – everybody, everybody will pay the price if we get to a point where restrictions, either localised or across the state, need to be re-introduced,” he said.
There was also talk of rolling out tighter restrictions in six of the hardest-hit Melbourne suburbs: Brimbank, Cardinia, Casey, Darebin, Hume and Moreland.
We'll bring you more as the news around Victoria develops.
If your head is a little scrambled, make sure you pop over to WHO.int to get all of your official COVID-19 updates.
Main Image Credit: Licensed by Getty
bored at home...? catch the entire series of jersey shore: family vacation here…
All The Celebrities Who Have Tested Positive For Coronavirus...
All The Celebrities Who Have Tested Positive For Coronavirus Positive
Getty1 of 10
Getty2 of 10
Getty3 of 10
Getty4 of 10
Getty5 of 10
Getty6 of 10
Getty7 of 10
Getty8 of 10
Getty9 of 10
Getty10 of 10