18 Amazing Facts About Malala Yousafzai To Celebrate Her 18th Birthday
Hurrah, it's Malala Yousafzai's birthday! But can you believe she's still just a teenager after everything she's accomplished? In honour of the incredible activist, here's 18 things you probably didn't know about her, to celebrate Malala turning the big 1-8!
1. Malala Yousafzai was attacked by the Taliban when she was 15 years old, being shot in the head on the while on the bus to school.
2. In 2014, Malala was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for braveness in fighting for children and women’s right to education.
3. She’s the youngest person ever to be given the honour (she was 17 when awarded it).
4. A new documentary about her family life, He Named Me Malala, hits cinemas in October 2015.
5. She goes to an all-girls school in the UK at Edgbaston High School in Birmingham.
6. She has her own book out, called I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban.
7. Eerily, the day Malala was shot was also the day her mother started learning to read and write.
8. She recovered fully from the Taliban attack at a hospital in Birmingham.
9. Malala wrote a blog for the BBC when she was 11 and 12 years old under a false name, explaining what life was like under Taliban control.
10. She’s got an honourary doctorate degree from the University of King’s College.
11. She’s met David Beckham, the Queen and President Obama…
12. …but most importantly, she’s also FaceTimed Justin Bieber!
13. Malala has a crush on tennis player Roger Federer. Bad luck, Andy Murray!
14. Time magazine featured her as one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2013.
15. She gave a speech at the United Nations on her 16th birthday…
16 …and they were so excited to have her, the called the day ‘Malala Day’.
17. The attack on Malala caused Pakistan to create their first ever Right to Education Bill.
18. Malala has received over 40 honours and awards due to her heroic and incredible activism.