Cory Monteith’s official cause of death ruled by coroner
The investigation surrounding the death of actor Cory Monteith has finally come to a conclusion, with the coroner ruling that the ‘Glee’ star had been shooting heroin and drinking champagne before he was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room.
An autopsy and toxicity screening in July had showed the actor died of what is officially referred to as mixed drug toxicity, with heroin and alcohol both having been found in his system, but the coroner’s final report has revealed further details and concluded that the death was accidental.
“Investigators at the scene found drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, along with two empty champagne bottles and glasses. The investigation confirmed that hotel video captured Mr. Monteith returning alone to his room at 2.16am on July 13, and that he was not seen alive again,” stated the report, according to E! News.
“It was also confirmed that he had a history of illicit drug use with intermittent periods of rehabilitation and of abstinence from drugs. It is noted that if someone has abstained from using opioids (which include heroin) for a period of time, tolerance may be lessened.”
The 31-year-old actor had struggled with drug and alcohol abuse in the past and had even entered a rehab facility earlier this year.
Back in June, Monteith spoke candidly about his history of substance abuse to Parade magazine insisting: “I’m lucky on so many counts – I’m lucky to be alive.”
Speaking of his drug use, the star explained he would use “anything and everything, as much as possible. I had a serious problem.”
Cory was found dead in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in Vancouver on July 13.