Oasis Are Tight Wads!
Don't expect any freebies from Oasis when they release their next album - Noel Gallagher wants to make his money back!
Oasis will release their first album in three and a half years when they put forth 'Dig Out Your Soul' on October 7. Recorded at the legendary Abbey Road studios in London with producer Dave Sardy, the band's seventh studio disc and first since 2005's 'Don't Believe The Truth,' will be preceded by a single, 'The Shock of Lightning.'
But the elder Gallagher brother, as famous for his verbal diarrhea and tantrums as he is for his music, has ruled out imitating Radiohead's pioneering 'pay what you think it's worth' strategy.
Noel said, "That's not our bag. I didn't spend a year in the most expensive studio in England, with the most expensive producer in America and the most expensive graphic designer in London, to then give it away. Fuck that."
And there you have it. Its economics, y'all!
Speaking about Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' release, Gallagher said, "To be honest, to me it looked like marketing a great way of getting a load of marketing for free really. But good for them. That's what they do, they're rebels and outsiders."
Radiohead offered an 'honesty box' policy with their 'In Rainbows' release, where fans could pay as much as they thought the album was worth.
The 'Ok Computer' hit maker's decision to release the album for download was considered as a brave attempt to redress the damaging effects of digital music piracy, and confirmed that established artists can exist outside the traditional record label model.
But despite the ingenuity of the campaign, just 38 per cent of fans downloading the album parted with their money while the remaining 62 per cent of fans only paid the 45p handling charge according to data from comScore, a company that measures consumer activity online.
Still, 'In Rainbows' was hailed as a creative triumph for the Oxford quintet even though it earned the band more kudos than dollars.
Noel has also admitted he is baffled by the present day music industry, because the process of releasing an album now is completely different to when the band first started out.
He says, "There's five different versions of the f**ker! There's a cheap digital one, there's a digital one that's slightly more expensive, there's a physical one in the shops, then there's a deluxe one, then there's a 'super deluxe' one which has got everything on it."What happened to the days when you just went and said, 'Can I buy the new Oasis album p lease?"
Shame to hear that the band are such tight wads AND out of touch; by the sounds of it Oasis is stuck fast in the last century!
It better be good Noel, or we're going to want our money back...