Powderfinger may be kicking back enjoying retirement, but according to state pollies, the rock act should be dusting off their guitars to help raise money for the Queensland flood victims and volunteers!
According to news.com.au, Independent state MP Rob Messenger has asked the group to come of retirement and hold a concert to help those affected by the devastating floods in Queensland.
"I think it's a good idea, I've written to the Premier asking for her support," he told ABC Radio yesterday.
"This is a once-in-hundred-year natural disaster, Powderfinger is Queensland music," he said.
"Queensland needs them right now."
He’s even got the venue locked down - Messenger suggested Suncorp Stadium or the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.
"A small holiday in the big smoke and a monster concert headlined by... Powderfinger is just the medicine that the regional flood workers and victims need to recover and shake off the blues," he said.
Powderfinger officially retired after 21 years in the game with a national tour in November last year. There has been no comment from the band’s management as yet.
Meanwhile, other names that are being thrown around for what could be ‘Sound Relief 2’, include Lee Kernaghan, Keith Urban and Michael Buble, who is touring Australia next month. Cold Chisel is also expected to be approached, with frontman Jimmy Barnes releasing a flood benefit album on iTunes.
The first Sound Relief concerts held on March 14 in 2009 included big names like Jet, Kings of Leon, Kasey Chambers, Jack Johnson, Kylie Minogue, Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Olivia Newton-John and helped raise $7million for those affected by the Victorian Bushfires.
If you want to donate to help the victims of the Queensland floods, get to www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate. We’ll keep you posted.