Once again, Melbourne is going into lockdown. Apparently this is our thing now.
Deputy Premier James Merlino announced this morning that Melbourne will be entering a seven-day lockdown from 11.59PM tonight until 11:59PM on Thursday June 3rd.
He listed the reasons to leave home as follows:
- Shopping for essential items
- Authorised work or education
- Exercise (limited to two hours, with one other person)
- Caregiving, compassionate and medical reasons.
- To get vaccinated
“Our public health experts' primary concern is how fast this variant is moving,” Merlino said, adding that the seven-day ‘circuit-breaker’ will give staff time to get on top of contact tracing.
He also stressed the importance of getting vaccinated, adding: “The only pathway through this pandemic is for people to get vaccinated as soon as they’re eligible”.
Here are the main rules and restrictions Acting Premier Merlino mentioned:
- Stay 5km of home
- Wear masks both indoors and outdoors, unless an exemption applies (or you’re at home)
- No home visits, other than your partner
- Single bubbles are permitted (if you live alone you can form a bubble with another person)
- No public gatherings
- Hospitality venues can provide takeaway only
- Essential retail like pharmacies and supermarkets remain open
- Childcare and kinder remain open
- Schools and universities will pivot to remote learning
We’ll update this story as it develops.
Written by Reena Gupta, a Melbourne-based writer for MTV Australia. Follow her on Twitter at @purpletank.