1 / 12
1. 2011 was a big VMA year for Britney: She won the Video Vanguard award and Best Pop Video for âTill the World Ends,â and was the recipient of a dance tribute performed in her honour. Unfortunately, her midriff was unable to make it that night.
2 / 12
2. 2008 was an even bigger for Britney. Coming off of a 2007 performance that received less-than-stellar reviews, Brit came back to win her first ever Moonmen â yes, plural. She brought home three awards. No midriff this year, but who cares!
3 / 12
3. 2000 was Britneyâs second time at the VMAs, and while her red carpet look was fairly conservative, she bared a whole lot during her performance.
4 / 12
4. No midriff in 2002, but thatâs fine, because this is truly one of the best VMA outfits thatâs ever existed.
5 / 12
5. Britney made plenty of waves during her performance with Madonna & Christina Aguilera. So many that you may have forgotten what she was wearing. Her mini-wedding dress had lace just above the waist, dropping hints of the washboard abs that lay beneath.
6 / 12
6. Last year, Britneyâs glitzy mini-dress had sheer paneling that was just on the midriff. Iconic!
7 / 12
7. 1999 was huge. HUGE. Britney made her VMA debut performing, what else, â...Baby One More Time,â with abs front and centre.
8 / 12
8. As they were also on the red carpet.
9 / 12
9. Here we are. Yet another iconic Britney look. This time, the 2001 red carpet, where she wore a sheer, lace dress with just a bralette and boy shorts underneath. Her hair was also perfect.
10 / 12
10. Greased up, abs out, a python hoisted ever so delicately across her shoulders. Classic Britney at her best.
11 / 12
11. While Britneyâs 2007 performance didnât show her at her best, she didnât betray her true self, showing off as much of her abs as she could. A true hero.
12 / 12
12. And finally, the moment weâve been waiting for. Her 2000 performance of âOops I Did It Again.â Britney ripped off a sparkly pinstripe suit to reveal nude, bedazzled pants and bra, revealing almost â almost â everything.