Sexy Beasts, Netflix
I awoke yesterday morning filled with optimism. COVID cluster or no COVID cluster, I smugly prepared my smoothie deciding that Thursday would be a day full of productivity, wellness and monk-like concentration. And then I saw it. Netflix’s tweet announcing their new ‘costumed dating’ show: Sexy Beasts.
Sexy Beasts, as Netflix describes it, “is a new dating show where real-life singles sport elaborate makeup and prosthetics to put true blind-date chemistry to the test”, but a quick perusal of the trailer reveals something far more sinister.
Now, I am all for a dating show with a wildly illogical premise, but even I have my limits, and I can now say it sits somewhere between a dolphin on a date with a scarecrow, and a panda asking a bull about the status of their health insurance. This shit is utter chaos. I guarantee I will have nightmares about these costumes.
“This is really weird right now,” a devil says to what appears to be a rodent of some description. Yes, Netflix, it is. Like Too Hot To Handle and Love Is Blind before it, I’m sure Sexy Beasts will do incredibly well. It’s probably best not to muse too much on where that leaves us as a society.
So much for channelling my inner zen.
Season one of Sexy Beasts will be released on Netflix in Australia on July 21, if you're so inclined.
More from Alice:
- Picking FavouritesOn our final day of publishing, we reflect on the best stories we’ve ever done.05/11/2021
- Pressing Questions With Alice GriffinPressing Questions is, undoubtedly, the hardest column of all time. Here, on our very last day of publishing, MTV Australia editor Alice Griffin tries her hand at answering the tricky questions that we so blatantly put on others.05/11/2021
- Pressing Questions With Reena GuptaPressing Questions is, undoubtedly, the hardest column of all time. Here, on our very last day of publishing, MTV writer Reena Gupta tries her hand at answering the tricky questions that we so blatantly put on others.05/11/2021
- Pressing Questions With Jackson LangfordPressing Questions is, undoubtedly, the hardest column of all time. Here, on our very last day of publishing, MTV writer Jackson Langford tries his hand at answering the tricky questions that we so blatantly put on others.05/11/2021
- Courtney Barnett Is On The FenceAt a time when opinion is currency, Courtney Barnett is one of the few public figures who doesn’t claim to have all the answers. Instead, her new album, ‘Things Take Time, Take Time’, muses on modern life with all its complexities, frustrations and beauty.05/11/2021
- 17 Months Of Incredible Australian MusicWriter Jackson Langford tips his hat to the Aussie songs he loved most over the past year and a bit.04/11/2021